Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2005 Dodge, grand caravan, 3.3. A couple days ago the engine…

2005 Dodge, grand caravan, 3.3...
2005 Dodge, grand caravan, 3.3. A couple days ago the engine suddenly began to miss. It is a sputtering miss. Its like a plug wire is off but it isn't. I have codes 0301,0032,2097 and 0305. It is a serious miss and makes it difficult to drive. Although it has a miss it does not die at idle.Please advise.
8/30/2017
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help.

Has anything been replaced for this misfire or rough running condition as of yet?

Are you looking for some possible causes?

Nothing has been replaced. Yes I am looking for possible causes.

Thank you for that information.

The most common cause of a misfire condition on this engine would be faulty tune up components, air/vacuum leak (stuck open EGR valve) or possible carbon build up on the valves. Sometimes sticking valves, burned valves or broken valve springs/rocker arms may cause a misfire condition as well.

However, start with the basics and go from there. Check the tune up parts and replace as needed. The oxygen sensor codes may be caused by the misfire condition. Anytime there is a misfire, it will throw off the fuel trims and may cause oxygen sensor codes so I would recommend to diagnose the misfire condition first. However, one of them is an oxygen sensor circuit code which may just be a faulty oxygen sensor.

There is also a TSB released by Chrysler for this condition. It is TSB 18-018-04. It talks about replacing the tune up components for this misfire condition and then reprogramming the PCM with the latest software version available.

Is reprogramming the PCM something I can do? Also I notice there is no distributor on this engine. Hows that?

This engine uses a different type of ignition system. It has one big coil pack and the computer controls which cylinders to fire at a time depending on the cam and crank sensors or inputs. Usually these ignition coils do not go bad so I would focus on the plugs and wires for the time being.

The PCM programming will need to be done at a dealership or someone that has the special type of equipment.

Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician