Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Dodge Dakota 2001 3.9 liter 6. Truck runs rough and

Dodge Dakota 2001 3.9 liter 6. Truck runs rough and hesitates at times. Was told the manifolds are going out. Is there any repair I can try before I junk the truck. It is not worth having them replaced

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you any way I can.

Is the check engine light on?

Are there any codes in the computer?

Are you looking for some possible causes?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Bad 02 sensor already replaced and was checked it is good

Thank you for that information.

I will list some possible causes here for you below.

The most common causes are..

• Throttle position sensor
  • Camshaft position sensor
  • Crankshaft position sensor
  • Secondary ignition components
  • Fuel pump
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was told exhaust manifold was bad is there any way to repair besides replace

It depends how it goes bad.

Is it cracked?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not that I can physically see

Does it sound like there is an exhaust leak?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
that it does. Runs better when cold also.

Ok, however, the exhaust manifolds will not cause the engine to run rough or hesitate.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is it possible that my catalytic converters are bad it has the California exhaust so it have four oxygen sensors. Would that make it run rough and also have an exhaust leak. I know they connect to the manifolds with one to each side of the engine bolted to the manifold

The only way the converters would cause the engine to run rough or hesitate would be if they were plugged up. And if this were the case, it would NOT be intermittent like you are describing.. so no, based on your explanation, the converters are not the problem.

__________________________________________________

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or off line spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok. Stupid question. Could it be the issue if they are partially plugged or rusted out and not allowing correct back pressure

Sure it could be partially plugged.. but again, it would not be intermittent.

I am glad I can help!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Another question. I have had it checked by a mechanic and he says all the first things you mentioned are good and the sensors are good. Any other ideas. It is getting worse on hot days and like I said when colder out it seems ok but not perfect. It runs rough all the time just worse at times and the hesitation ontake off depends

YES..

Some other possible causes are engine coolant temp sensor, MAP sensor and PCM.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am not sure if he checked the map sensor or pcm. Where do I find those at

The map sensor is located on the throttle body

The engine coolant temp sensor is located by or behind the alternator

The PCM is located right by the air filter housing.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok I have some other possible things to check out along with the exhaust thanks

You are most welcome.

Please dont forget to rate.

Thanks and have a great day!