Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2003 Durango R/T with the 5.9L that won't go into…

I have a 2003...

I have a 2003 Durango R/T with the 5.9L that won't go into park. I'm able to get into other gears fine, and it drives fine, just won't let me shift into park.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

Transmission is the factory original @ 152,000 miles I have not checked the break switch yet.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Durango yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've only tried switching between gears, and drive / reverse testing. I've not climbed under it yet, or checked the break lights

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Trying to fix myself nope, thats it

8/22/2017
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech

Hi welcome to just answers my name is ***** ***** problem is cause by the shift cable may need adjustment or is binding at the transmission linkage located on the side of the transmission.

Okay, I'll be checking that this afternoon then, as well as the break switch, just to be sure. I'll get back to you with results.
Thanks,

the brake switch will only prevent the shift linkage from moving in to gear , your problem is going back in to park isn't it?

Ah, good to know. Yes, it is going into park only. So much for the easy fix. I'll get under it today, and check the cable linkage, and see if I can't find a bind, or adjust it. Thanks!

yes let me know if you need any help later or tonight ill be online all day and night

Got under there, popped the cable off the shift lever, and was able to put it in park. I then forced the cable to the "park" position, and moved it to make sure that I had freed it up. Put a bit of WD-40 w/ lithium grease on there for good measure, and should be good for a while. I'll eventually replace the cable and bushing. THANKS FOR THE HELP!

i am glad the problem was fix just dont forget you will need to replace the cable in the future . thank you.

dont forget to rate my answer. Thank You.

Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech