Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have a 2005 dodge magnum 3.5 and the ac clutch will not…

Customer Question
I have a 2005 dodge...
I have a 2005 dodge magnum 3.5 and the ac clutch will not engage. I have 13v to compressor clutch with volt meter, however when I try to power a test light the voltage goes to zero and the test light will not illuminate. I have ran power and ground to the clutch and it will engage. Does the relay get power straight from fuse and battery? I'm bot sure where the loss of voltage comes from when hooking a test light up to clutch wire.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dodge
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
No luck
8/22/2017
Dodge Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Sorry for the delay,

You have a spot of high resistance that is sucking the voltage up before it can run the light or the clutch. This may be a relay or a poor connection. Might be the fuse holder in the fuse block.

Check those points and let me know if you find anything.

Thanks

Switched relay still the same, also checked fuse and connections. What's next does that wire go to the power dist. Box also is there any connection points between the box and clutch I can check.
Is there a schematic that I can check, I need to check power to the relay and make sure that can power a load, also does that relay share power from another point? I've checked all the basics need to pinpoint the problem

I am away from my database until tonight. (eclipse trip) so I will have to post the diagram tonight.

You can use your testlight at the fuse and the relay to see if it lights there, if it does the problem is in the connection or the wiring.

Use a paperclip in place of the relay to connect the large copper colored pin sockets together. This is the #30 to the #87 sockets as shown on the relay, if the relay is not marked let me know. Do not guess which ones they are

George H.
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician