Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Light out on cluster - checked all lights working, exterior…

Light out on cluster...

Light out on cluster - checked all lights working

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Exterior lights

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2003 ram 2500 5,9 cummings - on dash it says light out

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

Check all bulbs for proper op all ok

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

At times goes out when brake pedal pushed

8/22/2017
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

03 trucks have a problem with the rear tail light socket assemblies. They have a problem with poor contact causing high resistance in the connections to the bulbs. Remove both tail lamp assemblies, and remove the socket assemblies. Remove each bulb and CAREFULLY inspect for melting of the plastic near where the wires come down from the bulb. If you see signs of melting, you will need to replace the affected tail lamp socket along with any bulbs that are melted in this manner.

Give me a few minutes to find some pics showing what I am talking about....

Thank you,

Robert

i checked the resistance on light board that bulbs go into was all the same , replaced all bulbs abd put grease on contacts

The grease can also affect contact. I have seen these light Circuit Boards fail quite often. The problem is NOT internal resistance in the board, the problem is weak contacts that actually contact the wires on the bulb. The weak contact causes the area to overheat and cause the bulb to begin melting in this point. Look at your old bulbs closely and you should be able to see what I am talking about. In the mean time I'm still trying to find some pics showing this....

Thank you,

Robert

i checked the contacts and bent them to make sure good contact with bulbs
is it possible for cracked circit board

It is possible also. But look at the pic of the bulb in the following link. This is an EXTREME case of melting of the contact point. Check ALL of your tail lamp bulbs for the BEGINNING of this condition. IF you find this. REPLACE the tail lamp socket and the bulb AGAIN....

--->> Click Here to view <<---

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
i replaced all bulbs just incase , will go buy to new light socket boards tomorrow and se what happens

If the problem with the "lamp out" is still showing up, chances are high that at least ONE of the NEW BULBS is already damaged. So when you purchase the Socket Boards, Purchase at least one or two bulbs as replacements for when you replace the sockets. You MUST CAREFULLY inspect the bulbs for signs of melting of the NEW bulbs, IF ANY bulbs show even slight signs of melting, REPLACE the affected bulb or you WILL cause your NEW socket boards to get damaged again...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Thanks for the positive rating....!!