Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Can you help me with an electrical problem on a dodge ram…

can you help me with...
can you help me with an electrical problem on a dodge ram 1500 2004 hemi? I have a problem with not being able to run my ODBii scanner. The reason I need to run diagnostics is because the Electronic Throttle Control (ECM) light is on. The truck just sits in idle with gas pedal to the floor and I need to troubleshoot this with the OBDii scan. For the ECM issue I have already pulled the throttle body off and cleaned that carefully, replaced the air filter and completed an oil/filter change. So back to the OBDii issue..With the ignition off I do not have power to open the doors, the dome light is off if I open the door and no power to the ODBii port. Turn the ignition on and I can lock the doors with the door lock switch but not open the doors and dome light does come on but still no power to OBDii.I have removed fuse 51 (the dome and underhood fuse which is what the OBDii port draws power off), fuse is good and I replaced it just to be sure. I placed a voltmeter on the battery negative terminal and tested both sides of the fuse with the ignition off and I get 12+volts. I also checked all other fuses inside the box in front of the battery and they are fine (are there other fuses anywhere else to check?).Right now I can't drive my truck and this problem is super tough to troubleshoot. I have also tried the turn on and off 3 times trick to get the error codes on the mileage and also the trick where you press and hold the trip reset and turn ignition on waiting until dials go to max and back down and neither of these work either. Truck is a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 5.7
8/21/2017
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you any way I can.

Are you looking for some possible causes or would you like me to walk you through this diagnoses?

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

let's speak on the phone. I'm in my workshop with my truck now. Cell is(###) ###-####

You can request a phone call on your end and I will call you right away.

Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Phone call session started