Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Battery code on the dash panel, checked the voltage coming

Customer Question
back to battery none, changed...
battery code on the dash panel, checked the voltage coming back to battery none, changed alternator no change, is there a fuse in the alternator circuit on a 2011 Durango if so where is it located
JA: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?
Customer: no
JA: Are you fixing your Durango yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: new alternator.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Want to know if there is a fuse for the alternator 2011 Durango crew 3.6
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dodge
8/21/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Marc Zerbin,
 replied 3 months ago
Marc Zerbin

Hi thank you for your question. I will prepare my answer and get a wiring diagram for you.

Thanks,

Marc

Dodge Mechanic: Marc Zerbin,
 replied 3 months ago

Does it say a code or is it just the battery symbol displayed?

Battery symbol
Dodge Mechanic: Marc Zerbin,
 replied 3 months ago

Ok. Does it display this while engine is running? Do you happen to have volt meter?

While running I do have a meter
Dodge Mechanic: Marc Zerbin,
 replied 3 months ago

What is the voltage at the battery with the new alternator installed and engine running?

11.71 volts running or not running
Dodge Mechanic: Marc Zerbin,
 replied 3 months ago

ok that new alternator is not charging your battery like it should. First step would be to verify the 3 wire are connected to it. One big battery cable and the small connector. The small connector goes to the computer (pcm). The computer Controls when to turn the alternator on and off. If those wires are good going to the PCM then there is a problem in the PCM which is fairly common for these. I will attach another file.

Dodge Mechanic: Marc Zerbin,
 replied 3 months ago

Do you also have battery voltage at the alternator battery wire? (big one)

Dodge Mechanic: Marc Zerbin,
 replied 3 months ago

In that test procedure you will read that you can actually apply power to one of the wires and bypass the PCM and see if your new alternator starts charging

Dodge Mechanic: Marc Zerbin,
 replied 3 months ago

Charging voltage of the alternator should be around 14volts.

Thanks unplugged the connect on the alternator, plugged it back in until it clicked in alternator working good
Now
Dodge Mechanic: Marc Zerbin,
 replied 3 months ago

Awesome!

Dodge Mechanic: Marc Zerbin,
 replied 3 months ago

I always appreciate a good review.

Thanks

Dodge Mechanic: Marc Zerbin,
 replied 3 months ago

Please accept the answer. Thank you!

Good information
Marc Zerbin
Marc Zerbin
Marc Zerbin