Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I hae a 2017 Ram 3500 6.7 liter Turbo diesel and I am ready

I hae a 2017 Ram 3500 6.7 liter Turbo diesel and I am ready for my first oil change. I would like recomendations for what type of oil (viscosity) and at what point or would it be advisable to use synthetic. 8k miles

HI,

2017 Dodge or Ram Truck RAM 3500 Truck L6-6.7L DSL Turbo

save-icon.png Save Article

Below 0°F (-18°C) ............................................. 5W-40 Synthetic*

* Use engine oil such as MOPAR, Shell Rotella and Shell Rimula that meets US Material Standard MS-10902 and the API CJ-4 engine oil category is required. Products meeting Cummins CES 20081 may also be used. The identification of these engine oils is typically located on the back of the oil container.

Above 0°F (-18°C) ..................................................... 15W-40**

** Use engine oil such as MOPAR, Shell Rotella and Shell Rimula that meets US Material Standard MS-10902 and the API CJ-4 engine oil category is required.

So, if temps are expected in your area to be below zero this winter, use the synthetic 5w- 40, and if not regular 15w-40

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.