Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2011 Grand Caravan rear door wont stay open. Door opens when…

2011 Grand Caravan rear...

2011 Grand Caravan rear door wont stay open. Door opens when asked, but immediately closes. Diagnosis? DIY fixable? estimated cost of repair?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?

Might fix if its easy. Have not tried any remedy.

8/21/2017
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech

Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

Can I get your VIN number?

VIN is 2D4RN3DG4BR627586.
This short clip from YouTube illustrates my problem:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=2011+dodge+grand+caravan+rear+door+won%27t+stay+open&view=detail&mid=699139AABEDE78C61939699139AABEDE78C61939&FORM=VIRE

Thanks for the VIN!!

There is a software update for your sliding doors that will need to be performed, we(Dealership) charge 1 hour to update modules which is around 100.00...

This is a problem with the rear liftgate, not the sliding doors. But if all are affected by this software update, can you please identify this update--name or number---so I can get pricing from local sources.

When you press the liftgate button and it opens, when it reaches the top does it jump and then come back down? If you open it manually will it stay up? I have found if the strut if bad it will cause the door to shut when it reaches the top..

the door opens and then it "jumps" (moves quickly downward) but descends at normal speed after the "jump." The gate will not stay open if opened manually. How can I confirm it is a strut problem?

If it jumps I would replace the strut and see if it resolves your issues...

if it is a strut problem--can you give me the part number, please.

Sorry for the delay.. THe part numbers are here Left 68089035AD and right 68089035AD

If your not familiar with how JustAnswer works, You ask a question, I try and give you the best answer I can and then you leave a positive rating so I get credit for helping.. I strive for excellent ratings and greatly appreciate all bonuses.. Feel free to reply back as many times as needed until your issues is resolved...

Feel free to request me in the future for all your Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep needs..

Take care,

Brad

-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Brad,Will give you an excellent rating, but might have quick follow up. I see the part numbers are the same for left and right. Is that what you intended to say? And also, is it the fact that the gate won't stay open manually that suggests the problem is in the strut and not the device that raises the gate automatically? Thanks. PS---How do I ask a follow up question if this dialog box is closed? my email is ***@******.***

Yes both sides are the same part number and you can reply to be as many times as needed..

And when the liftgate jumps at the top the liftgate module interprets this as someone trying to close the liftgate and it shuts it.. Remove you liftgate props and see if they are easy to push in, the are most likely bad and new ones will be real stiff and keep the liftgate held open to prevent this...