Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7l unusual draw on batteries

8/21/2017
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

Do you own a digital volt meter so we can do a draw test?

but I do not have it at the moment

Do you want the steps for now or do you want to wait till you get the tool?

Well I was testing them earlier and when I put the positive cable on the positive terminal and the negative cable to the battery case it read that it had a current of 7 volts running thought the battery case then just to be sure it wasn't the volt meter I read it on 3 other batteries on 3 other cars and none did the same thing

A battery draw test is done with a multimeter on a the DC milliamp setting not DC volts.

Should it read 0.0 set to DC milliamps if there is no draw

Most all vehicles will have 80mA of draw which is also 0.08 amps of draw.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

if there is any more than .08 amps of draw when checking the battery case what is the solution

You remove and leave out all fuses one by one till you find the fuse that drops the draw to below allowed specs. That fuse is the problem. You then check al lthe wiring and components on that fuse to see which is shorted to ground.

Ok perfect

Glad I could help. You do realize you need to rate the answers on the posts you have opened and got the help you needed. You have 14 posts opened and none have been rated.

No I didn't know that's how it worked I just got the app

Yes you do need to rate the answers. There is a 5 star rating option on your screen to do so.

Techs are only paid once you rate.

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Ok

Thanks

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician