Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The transmission seems to not have 1st or overdrive. It

The transmission seems to...

The transmission seems to not have 1st or overdrive. It won't even move unless I put the shifter into 2nd and overdrive don't work at all.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle have a fuse that enables or disables the shifter?

I'm not sure where that would be located.... there's 3 dtc codes p0449,p0700,p0522

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2003 dodge durango sport

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Durango yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I just bought it yesterday

8/20/2017
HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Master Tech

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, the P0700 code is a random transmission fault code. Since it was just bought, wherever you bought it from should look into fixing this unless it was a private buyer. It could be an issue with the transmission range sensor that tells the Powertrain control module what gear the transmission shifter is in, Park,reverse, neutral etc. If it reads manual 2nd when in Drive it will start off in second for instance or manual 1st. If this is ok and its starting off in the wrong gear it will most likely be an internal mechanical failure in the transmission, the other codes are not related to a transmission issue.

I bought it from an auction actually. I just went out and reset the codes and then drove it and the only code that showed up was p0700.
It does go when it's in drive but seems like there's no overdrive.
It seems to lag when first starting off. It don't even have the passing gear where the transmission downshifts when pressing on the gas when in a higher gear.
I can even smell the transmission when it gets hot.
Do you think the transmission news to be replaced or may be some sensors or something?

Possibly the transmission, if it was a sensor or solenoid it would set a different code. Just make sure the transmission range sensor is reading the correct input to match the shifter PRND21. If so and there is no other issues with the engine lacking performance like a weak fuel pump or clogged catalytic convertor. It sounds like its in the trans, and probably why it was at an auction to begin with. Check the trans fluid level and condition, if it smells burnt or looks black, thats a sign of trouble for the trans as well.

HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Master Tech
Ok, thank you

Thank you!