Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

It won't idle, won't start unless I have foot on pedal &

It won't idle, won't...

It won't idle, won't start unless I have foot on pedal & dies at stop signs

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Yes, replaced battery, the terminals are clean

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

98 dodge dakota

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Dakota yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, i replaced the Idle Control Valve & Battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, that's it.

Answered in 1 minute by:
8/19/2017
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you any way I can.

Is the check engine light on?

Are there any codes in the computer?

What size engine do you have?

No check engine light. I have the 3.9l v6

Thank you for that information.

If the battery and idle air control motor have been replaced, then the next most likely possible cause would be an air/vacuum leak and or a faulty throttle position sensor.

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or off line spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I didn't replace the Idle Control Motor, it was the throttle position sensor. I called it the wrong thing.

Got it!

I would replace that next.

Chances are it will fix the stalling issue. :)

Ok thanks!

Your welcome!

Please dont forget to rate.

Have a great night!!

Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
I won't! You have a great night too!

Thank you. :)