Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Thought it was a starter issue. '97 ram 2500 12 valve

Customer Question
Thought it was a...

Thought it was a starter issue

Mechanic's Assistant: When you turn the key, do you get a single loud click, or a series of rapid ones?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

'97 ram 2500 12 valve diesel

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

So far

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

New batteries, and starter

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dodge
8/19/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 11 months ago
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you any way I can.

Are you saying that the engine does not crank over?

Have you checked for power down at the starter?

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

It cranks hard some times, like the batteries are drained

noticed that the pos battery connection is getting hot
it did turn over 3 times slowly

Ok, then that means there is high resistance in that circuit. You can try to remove either end of this cable or wire, clean and re attach the ends and or simply replace the wire/cable going to the positive post.

I did but I will take the connections apart and clean them and try again

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or off line spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.