Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

New alternator, new battery and the battery light is on

new alternator, new battery and the battery light is on again
JA: Have you tested the battery? Have you tried testing the alternator?
Customer: tested battery, they couldn't test the alternator because the battery was charged enough, but its only a month old
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2012 avenger
JA: Are you fixing your Avenger yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. not sure what to do now after replacing alt and battery
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's it

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you any way I can.

Have you checked for codes in the computer?

What is the battery voltage at with the engine at idle?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
have not checked for codes, and don't have a voltage te4ster

Ok, are you looking for some possible causes?

What size engine do you have?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
2.4 L. I replaced the alternator about a month ago and just replaced the battery. that same day the battery light came on had it tested it good

Thank you for that information. Without knowing all of the small details, it is hard to say exactly what is going on. However, I can certainly provide you with some possible causes.

First, would be a faulty new alternator. This does happen from time to time. The good news is if this is the case, the alternator should be replaced under warranty.

Second, maybe the alternator may be working good but the charging or battery light is on which could indicate an issue with the instrument cluster.

Another possible cause would be a wiring issue to the alternator or a faulty PCM. The PCM is the main engine computer and it controls the alternator output.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the battery isn't charging. tried to have the new alternator tested it they said the battery was only at 60% they were not able to test

You could charge the battery up using an external battery charger and then test the charging system.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
do have to remove the battery?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
its a pain in the butt to remove

No you don't. You can charge it inside the vehicle.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
am I able to use the jumper ports to charge it?

YES

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
that's great

:)

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or off line spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.