Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Mechanic
Experience:  25 years automotive expierience, Nissan factory trained, Subaru factory trained.
2921078

The check engine light remains in an on position, Stays on,

The check engine light remains in an on position
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Stays on
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2000 grand caravan le
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried nothing. However I must drive it 800 miles immediately and before I can service the car. Is it safe to drive?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Is the vehicle acting normally?

Running good and shifting properly when you drive it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't want to spend an extra 26$

Ok, it's likely an issue with the evap emissions system turning the light on. This is safe to drive in this condition and won't cause you any issues. That being said, if you want, most of the larger parts stores can get the stored code for you and will do it free. If you do that and post it here with me, then I could be 100% sure if it's going to be an issue or not. The code will start with a P, for example P0455. If you do it and post it here I can be positive, but at the moment I believe it's not a serious issue. There's over 500 reasons for the light to come on.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.

Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you. I had a feeling that was the issue. To confirm, it is safe to drive long distances before resetting the code. Likely, air got in the system causing the fault light to alert me.

Yes, it's safe. Like if the gas cap was loose after filling it, the light would come on, then if you tighten the cap, it will take a while for the light to go off. As long as it's running normally it's not unsafe to drive.

Also, kindly remember to rate my answer.
Thank you so much!!