Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Engine revs up and down with the auto shutdown and fuel pump

Hi. Engine revs up and down with the auto shutdown and fuel pump relays clicking fast continuously and check engine light flashes in sync with the relay. sometimes the relays keep clicking when ignition is shut off so I have to disconnect the battery to stop them from clicking. When driving car it's like the engine is being turned off and on continuously causing jerking motions similar to a real bad engine miss.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: It blinks on and off in union with the relays, then goes off when the relays quit clicking after about 20 minutes or so of driving
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 1998 grand caravan with 3.3 engine
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Changed whole relay box with one out of a junkyard and seperated wireing harness wires going to relay box
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: once in a while when the gauges totally quit working the car runs fine. otherwise the gauges go off and on in sync with as engine missfires

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you any way I can.

Has anything else been replaced for this condition other than the relay box?

I assume your talking about the PDC under the hood?

Have you checked for codes in the computer?

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Put in a new battery heavy duty battery. What's PDC. I changed the main fuse and relay box under the hood. I took the fuse under the dash to the gauges out, and then the starter became disconnected. The car ran fine when gauges quit working while driving. I took it to autozone for codes and all they got was error codes. I can speak on the phone if you don't charge extra for it. On retirement income, so limited money

The PDC is the power distribution center. I assume that's what you replaced?

The phone call is extra, but I may be able to lower the cost of the phone call down to $5 bucks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If you lower the cost to $5 call my landline which is portable to reach my car. Call(###) ###-####Tom Mercer

Ok, please allow a few minutes until I can send over this offer.