Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

My van starts shaking when I put it into gear and starts

Customer Question
pushing forward then shuts off...
My van starts shaking when I put it into gear and starts pushing forward then shuts off
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dodge
8/18/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Todd M, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. How does the vehicle idle?

It idles fine

Is there a check engine or warning light on in the vehicle?

No check engine light. I had a tune up and a transmission oil change on it bc it felt like it was shifting rough and when I would go to stop in would shake and push forward like it want to keep going then would shut off. But not all the time and after I got the transmission lol change it was running ok then then more I drove it the rougher it would get. But tonight when I out into drive with my brake on it would shake and move forward then shut off.
Could that be the catalytic converter

Your issue could be a few things. First you should check for vacuum leaks. You can do that by listening for a hissing under the hood(air escaping or being sucked in). Also, have the fuel pressure checked. If you are getting insufficient fuel output, then you maybe able to idle, but the vehicle will not have enough pressure for the vehicle to be in gear.

The converter could be an issue if it is clogged. You can check this by feeling if there is exhaust coming out of the tail pipe. If you don't feel any, then you know that it is clogged. To be sure, the pressure would have to be checked.

The person I spoke with at the garage said it could be the catalytic converter bc the more I run it the worst it gets

That can definitely be the issue. If you suspect the cat., then have the vehicle scanned. This issue will usually leave a code for the catalyst system and the O2 sensors. Is there a check engine light on in the vehicle?

That's the strange part no light whatsoever came on
Is it possible that the light wouldn't go on for that issue

I understand. If this is the case, then I would check for a vacuum leak and have the fuel pressure tested. Be sure to test the fuel pressure at idle and while in gear.

It is very possible. Although, the emission system will usually set a code.

Ok I'll check with them tomorrow. Like I said on a cold start it runs fine but the more you drive it the rougher it gets

Another issue for what you are describing could be the coolant temperature sensor. When this sensor malfunctions, then you issue will occur. a lot of time the vehicle will not crank until it cools of due to flood plugs. The temperature sensor assist in fuel delivery. If this is the case, then you will likely smell fuel because of the flood of fuel.

These things should be inspected. Also, you should have the vehicle scanned for codes.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate and I will continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

Just as a reminder, if you have found this information helpful, please, do not forget to rate the service, as it is necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answer provided. Thanks again.

Todd M
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician