Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Brake lights don't work. Power at the fuse box is very low.

Brake lights don't work...

Brake lights don't work. Power at the fuse box is very low. Don't know what to test next.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

It's full and not sure how long since fluid was replaced

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2001 ram 1500

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Have replaced bulbs, put in new harness for the trailer lights

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

8/14/2017
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you any way I can.

I can walk you through this diagnoses.

I need your engine size or VIN please to start.

Thank you

5.2 liter
The power at the fuse was 1.5 volts

Thank you for that information.

Are all fuses good?

If so, do any major fuses or maxi fuses have FULL battery voltage on them?

They all appear to be good

What is the battery voltage at?

Are you sure the battery is not bad or low on a charge?

Maybe there is a faulty connection at the battery.

The battery is at 14 volts. We are not having problems with anything else electrical at this time. The center brake light on the cab is working, but the rear brake lights are not. The signal lights and four ways are working

Thank you.

So fuse number 5 (the stop lamp fuse) only has 1.5 volts?

Correct

What about fuse number 1 through 4? What is the voltage on those fuses?

1 is 3 volts
2 is at 0
3 is at 3 volts
4 is at 0
Note that the key was turned off so 2 and 4 are not getting power

Just about ALL fuses under the hood should have power on them at all times regardless of the ignition switch position. Double check to ensure that you have FULL battery voltage going into the power distribution center on the red wire coming from the battery. If so, and the connection going into the power distribution center is good, the power distribution center is faulty and will need to be replaced.

Thank you. Using a volt meter, how should I check the voltage on the red wire from the battery to the power distribution center?

Black lead goes battery ground and red lead goes to the red wire going to the PDC

Looks good to me!

This would indicate a faulty PDC.

What is the chance that the interrupter and multifunction switch is bad?
Ok. So the complete PDC has to be replaced?

YES, based on the information you have provided me with, the PDC is faulty and will need to be replaced.

Ok

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or off line spending time with my family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician