Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

06 DODGE RAM 2500 CUMMINGS DEISEL - Just finished replacing…

06 DODGE RAM 2500...

06 DODGE RAM 2500 CUMMINGS DEISEL - Just finished replacing heater core, discharge cooling system as advised, then dropped vehicle at local shop to repair U-Joint, recharge system - Shop said AC Cooling system passed initial vacuum test, is this possible.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the car been overheating? Have you noticed any leaks?

None, no sounds, no leaks

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm a sound engineer, not a mechanic

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not at this time

8/12/2017
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech

Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

Are you referring to the freon as the A/C cooling system? And since it passed a vacuum test then I would recharge it and see if the a/c works and if it doesn't then let me know what pressures you have at idle and I will tell you what is wrong..

Talk soon,

Brad

-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
I was working on heater core, advised to discharge AC, rented a machine, did that myself, would have shop refill. Truck was tested without refilling/recharging system ... is that possible ?
Cary York
Phone call session started

When I replace heater cores I recover the freon and pull the dash, then when it's back together I vacuum the a/c system and charge it with freon. You don't have to fill it with freon to run the vehicle, you just won't have any a/c. ALso there is no test needed to be done before refilling with freon..

I hope this helps you and in the future feel free to request me for all your Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep needs..

Have a great day,

Brad

Hey Brad,
Not helping. I understand testing freon before filling is pointless, nothing to test.What I need to know is will empty an AC system under test, as I described, pass a vacuum test. Yes or no.
Maybe this will help, this is a local shop, not a dealership. Understand truck will run fine without filling the freon, just won't have AC. I believe vacuum testing an empty system would be pointless, what I don't know is will an empty system, when tested, pass a vacuum test. ( where you come in ) Shop indicates tested and passed vacuum test. ( among other things ) Shop charged my 87 year old mother $3,783.00 to install a AC compressor kit, fan clutch, AC condenser, replace center U-joint. Job took 3 months to complete. Returned vehicle with missing parts, hole in the dash. Maybe you now have an idea of the scope of what she, now we, are dealing with. So, please, will an empty system pass a vacuum test... that is where I have to start.
I don't know how this works, if I need to pay more OR ? message at 10:30 this morning said you will call in a few minutes, not complaining, just newbe. I'm in CA., always up until at least 1:00 a.m. hope this helps.

When you don't have any freon in the system and are planning to charge it then you first need to vacuum test the system to make sure it will hold a vacuum before installing freon and it leaking out.. If it passed the vacuum test then it doesn't have any leaks and it's fine to go ahead and charge the system with freon...

Thanks Brad, please disregard the most recent request, don't need to involve you in this mess. Appreciate the help.
Hi Brad,Several days ago I requested expert service, ( phone call from you ) I accepted the offer, the amount has been paid, still no call. This is the first time I have used this service, is there anything further I need to do to make this happen ? Apparently this service is non-refundable, I know it's only $26.00, but still, be nice to get something for my money. Thanks