Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 has a front end wobble that comes and…

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 has...
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 has a front end wobble that comes and goes at high-speed some call it the death wobble
8/12/2017
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

What have you done to try to correct it? What is your VIN number?

Talk soon,

Brad

I took it to a shop and they told me it was either the crossover bushing or the driveline carrier bearings I had them replace both and the problem seemed to be gone but I had not drove it for a long distance until today. It happened today at around 68 mph as I was changing lanes then it did it a gang at 70 as I hit some ruff road. The third time I was changing lanes and going down hill. I have now drove 150 miles and no problem.
307KS28C25G794733

Sorry for the delay!!

I have quite a few customers I'm assisting this evening, and it's getting late so I'm trying to get everyone wrapped up..

Ok the death wobble is caused when you hit something or a dip in the road which starts the oscillating (Side to side) of the steering wheel and it will get fast quick until you slow down. I was working at my first dealership in 2004 when it was first known and the first time I drove one with this issue I told the service manager they aren't getting it back until it's fixed because it's very dangerous. Since then engineers has got to the bottom of it and sent out a bulletin. This bulletin explain how to diagnose and repair this issue, and I attached it for you to read over..

I ran your VIN and you only have 1 open recall for the Airbag that you can have done at any Dodge dealership free of charge. The main issue you will need to do is eliminate any loose play in any steering component and then replace the steering damper.

If your not familiar with how JustAnswer works, You ask a question, I try and give you the best answer I can and then you leave a positive rating so I get credit for helping.. I strive for excellent ratings and greatly appreciate all bonuses.. Feel free to reply back as many times as needed until your issues is resolved...

Feel free to request me in the future for all your Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep needs..

Take care,

Brad

-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
-Brad-
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech