Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

No speedometer. Not shifting right. 97 ram 1500. Without abs

and I changed all 3...
No speedometer. Not shifting right. 97 ram 1500. Without abs and I changed all 3 speed sensors
8/8/2017
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

Are you saying the vehicle came from the factory without ABS or are you saying that the factory ABS has been removed from the vehicle?

Factory

Please explain

It does not have front abs there is no abs control box

Does it have rear ABS?

I assume because I changed that speed sensor

Ok, excellent.

Do you have a scanner that can read live data?

It did have po0050 code and brake light on. But not noe
Now

Ok, and what does the vehicle speed indicate on your scanner while driving when the speedo is inop?

Let me check I'll get back with u

OK

It reads 0 mpg
No matter how fast I go
Mph
Can it be ecm

Sure it could be, but most likely it is a wiring issue between the sensor and computer.

Ok let me ask you this. Is the gear suppose to just pull off on transfer case output speed sensor ?
What role does it play with everything?

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

I don't have good service here
it's extra charge for that

No worries, I hear that from everyone. :)

I guess I don't understand your question.

Please explain

The output shaft speed sensor on transfer case. It's like a 2 peice deal. One part with sensor and other goes in transfer case with gear on it. Does the gear just ride no keepers on it? I took that other part out of transfer and gear just fell off. I slid back on put back together

YES sir that is correct. It is supposed to spin and allow the sensor to produce a signal while the vehicle is in motion.

I know it suppose to spin just wondered about it come off I had pull it out transfer when I removed other part.
you r satisfied that it's in wiring between the rear axle speed sensor and computer? What about this speedometer fuse I keep hearing about I can't find

There is no fuse sir. I am looking at a wiring diagram of this circuit now. :)

Ok the cruise won't work either if that means anything

The cruise wont work if the vehicle speed signal does not reach the computer. :)

Hmmm. Then I got definant wire issue maybe a ground ? The tps doesn't affect speedo or shifting does it?

It can affect the shifting, but not the speedo.

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or off line spending time with my family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

wire or computer
I mean one or other is what you r saying

I cant say without looking at it myself sir. :) I am not there doing the testing.

Again, it is usually just a broken wire causing this condition based on my experience.

Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Okay doke thanks

You are most welcome!!

Glad I can help.

It was speedo gear turned in wrong position

YUP! That will do it!!

Glad to hear it is all fixed.

Thanks again. I'll keep you in mind next time!

Sounds good!

You are most welcome.

Did u charge me another 38 bucks on my card?????
Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician