sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2008 Avenger SXT 2.7 here. There has always been rough or

Customer Question

Hi, 2008 Avenger SXT 2.7 here. There has always been rough or poorly-timed shifting from 2nd>1st when slowing down, and a rough from 2nd>3rd if I let of the throttle a moment before it engages 3rd. A transmission shop said it seems to be programming-related, not a mechanical fault. I'm wondering if there is anything that can be done to improve the transaxle response, and what would be involved.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: Odo is at 105,000km. I just had the fluid and filters changed by a trans. specialty shop. Old fluid was in decent condition. Normal/small amount of metal particles on the magnet and old filter.
JA: Are you fixing your Avenger yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: There has never been a leak.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I haven't done any transmission work myself other than check fluid levels. Most other work I do myself.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

What you'll need to do is see your dealer and have them update your powertrain control module software. Trans shift timing is controlled solely by software, taking into consideration engine load, vehicle speed, throttle angle, temperatures, etc. The only way to change shift feel or timing is with software. There have been some updates over the years that will improve shift feel if they have not been done.