sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Bad fuel economy and black smoke when just push a little bit

Customer Question

Bad fuel economy and black smoke when just push a little bit hard on fuel
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: And sometime little bit hard to start
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2006 ram 2500 cummins
JA: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I change 1 injector by myselft couple months ago for white smoke at idle it was fix
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Cp3 pump can destroy injector ?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
All filters are cleanAnd i also have fass fuem system for lift pump and filtration
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello?!
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are a handful of things that could be going on but if you're having poor fuel mileage and excessive black smoke then the most common cause would be injector wear. A long crank time is also often caused by injector wear.

Have you checked for fault codes?

When did this problem start opposed to replacing the one injector?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The problem always have been there i replace one injector because white/blue smoke at ilde and he was smelling fuel not burn at the exhaust
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no i don't have fault codeI hope i didn't paid 36$ canadian for juste this ansher

Can you elaborate on what you mean by always? Do you mean it's been the same since the truck was new?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No i mean i always have been a alcholic since i have de truk (1 year) and cranking 3-4 sec before start sometimes
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The truck always have been a alcholic not me hahah
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Long cranking is intermittent

Is there any smoke at idle now?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
a little bit and smell

That would go along with the hard start, smoke on acceleration and poor fuel economy then. If you're seeing smoke and/or a fuel smell from the exhaust at idle it is due to cold combustion, either from worn injectors or low compression. Injectors are much more likely to be the cause.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok so i change the 5 other injector ?

Testing would be necessary to know for sure if that's what needs to be done, but that's the most likely cause for what you're describing.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Testing injector ?

What would need to be done is an injector return flow test using some special fittings and a scan tool. Return flow is measured while running a fuel pressure override test and if it fails then the injectors are replaced as a set.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
A lot of mechanic tell me ..
Dont loosse your time put 6 new bosch injector

If one fails electrically then you can usually get by with replacing one. If you have a mechanical or wear issue then it's recommended to replace them as a set.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Bad on fuel not mean worn ?
If it is they all have the same millage same fuel have passed in the injectors ?

If all injectors have the same mileage then they're all going to be worn in a similar way, which is why they should be replaced as a set when you have a wear issue.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
if i dont want to paid for testing if im pretty sure its the injectors i can take the risk to change them all

If you don't want to pay to have it diagnosed then I would recommend replacing the rest of the injectors or all six.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Its a expensive risk but it really look like to be the injectors right ?

Yes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will change the 5 other injector and the one i have changed is #2 so he is not a big job to change if i have to

Good luck with your repair!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I forgot to tell you i did a cylinder contribution test and they were all weard. 88 107 92 105 ect...

That's a big issue, poor cylinder performance is usually caused by injector issues.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i cant really be wrong

Unless the problem is low compression, which is much less common that worn injectors.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have 0 blowby in valve cover or in the pan so i guess its the injector

Most likely.