Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

After installing a new water pump I found an electrical

Customer Question

After installing a new water pump I found an electrical connector but can't find where or what it connects to. The plug is yellow two prong. When first started the Durango after the install it started fine but had to shut it down due to the inlet tube leaking. All we did was take the tension off the belt in order to access the tube. But after effecting the correction and replacing drive belt back, I found the connector hanging down. It's on the passenger side front right underneath the windshield washer pumps that are attached to the reservoir. The washer fluid and coolant reservoir are all one piece.
JA: What shape is the drive belt in? Is it cracked, shiny, or frayed? And have you ever replaced one?
Customer: Belt is perfect. I replaced it a couple months ago. The electrical connector has nothing to do with the belt.
JA: What year is your Durango?
Customer: 2003 SLT 5.9 engine*****JA: Are you fixing your Durango yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes am doing the repairs myself. I have completed ALL the water pump installation and found the wire hanging as I described. The car cranks over fine. Yes a brand new battery but it will not catch. Fuel pump is fine.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you any way I can.

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

What color are the wires going to this connector?

Can you upload a few pictures? Of the connector itself and the area where you found the connector?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have already described the question IN detail and more than once...The connector is yellow, two prong female. Hanging down from wiring bundle passenger side front right beside the coolant/washer fluid reservoir. The Durango started fine immediately AFTER the water pump replacement. However, there was a leak in the connectors. We released tension on drive belt, made repairs to the connections and placed the belt back under full tension. Now the durango will not start. It cranks over just fine and yes a NEW battery. The engine cranks over well but it will not catch. So we traced all connections and we found the one in question but cannot find where it connects to. When the engine started after install of pump the engine ran smooth and steady.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Neither post did you describe the color wires going to the yellow prong connector.