Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I am having trouble with a misfire and engine overheating…

Customer Question
Hello, I am having...

Hello, I am having trouble with a misfire and engine overheating issue

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?

Yes,I have checked for a coolant leak and there is none. I recently put a new thermostat in.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2008 charger 2.7L

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I was giving the code p301 which means piston Misfire in #1. So far I have changed the spark plugs, ignition coil, flushed the coolant system, replaced the thermostat.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dodge
8/6/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 9 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the engine cooling fan coming on with the over heat issue?

Did the misfire and over heat issue occur at the same time or around the same time?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

The cooling fans do come on normally, but my temperature gauge inside the vehicle only reaches halfway like it normally should. But my vehicle will being to boil coolant inside its tank.
The misfire and overheating started at the same time and have been together since it started 1 week ago.

O.k.,the boiling or bubbling coolant as well as the misfire can indicate a cylinder head gasket leak unfortunately.The bubbling comes from exhaust pushing past the head gasket into the cooling system ports causing heat and gas into the cooling system which causes the bubbling issue.The leaking head gasket can cause coolant to enter a cylinder or engine oil or even just causes lower compression in one cylinder causing the misfire issue as well.

I would have what is called a block test done.This is done with a small tester that sits on the radiator or reservoir fill spout then fluid is added to it.Then the engine is ran to observe the fluid to see if it bubbles or changes fluid colors in the tester as this indicates a head gasket leak issue needing repaired.Most shops or a dealer can charge about an hours labor to do this testing.In some cases you can buy this tester from a local parts store and the tester will come with easy to follow instructions as well.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician