Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Just replaced engine and transmission, now I have idleing…

Customer Question
Just replaced engine and...

Just replaced engine and transmission, now I have idleing and misfire issues... not sure about the distributor timing?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it a steady misfire? Or random?

Just dropped a remanufacted engine into it

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2001 dodge ram 5.9 gas

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

I placed engine on TDC then checked the placement of the distributor head,

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I replaced the ignition coil,

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dodge
8/6/2017
Dodge Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 6 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

How do you have the plug wires arranged on the distributor cap? Did you use a new cap, rotor and wires?

brand new distributor, new spark plugs, good wires. new ing. coil

How do you have the plug wires arranged on the cap? It should be 1,8,4,3,6,5,7,2, in a clock wise rotation.

the order is correct. when I started the engine for first time it could not idle. it ould although remain running at 1500 rpm. when I let off throttle it would pop and misfire then cut off

That is normal for a new restart as the pcm has to go through a relearn. Hold the throttle at 1500 for about 5 minutes and then slowly let off of the pedal and see if it will start to idle on its own.

i did hold the idle for 5min or so... i remember getting the truck to normal operating temp. it lmost seem to me that it was starting to run hot. didn't want to push the temp seeing that its my new engine and all. wsnt sure what to do .

Double check and make sure you have all the air out of the cooling system. If this was the first start up, then the system will have to burp. You may have to let it run longer at 1500 to get it to burp, so you can fill the system up. I know it is a pain, but the engine has to be up to temp, cooling system full, then you can do the relearn on the pcm.

ok.. so to BURP, open cap while running? also, the gear that drives the distrutor was broke on the old engine trying to remove. so i had to get a new one and drop it into the new engine. When dropping the new gear with the slot that the distro pointer keys into i took engine to TDC , then i droped the gear into a place that the distributor pointer would be pointing at no. 1 cylinder when the shaft dropped iinto gear. is there anything i could have missed at this point? i am concidering shifting the gear?

It sounds like you did the install correctly. Lets get it to burp amd make sure the system is full of coolant first, then we can see what needs to be done. You do use G05 coolant correct?

i used new coolant that the manual told me. .... dumb question. but 1 complete rotation of the crankshaft = all 8 cylinders going through TDC right? also. when I'm done " burping this engine " how can i contact you again if i still have issues?

Just come back to this chat screen and type your message, and I will be right back with you. If you turn the engine 1 revolution, then only 4 of the eight cylinders will hit tdc. It takes two revs for the rotor button to make one rev.

is it a possibility that when i placed the distributor pointing at cylinder 1 the engine was actually TDC on different cyclinder?
how to check?

Remove the spark plug for cylinder one, and with your finger in the spark plug hole, turn the engine by hand till you fell compression pushing your finger out of the hole. Line your timing mark to tdc and see where the rotor button is pointing. If you had the distributor half a turn out, the engine would only backfire and never start, so the distributor should be close to being in time.

ok cool. I'm heading to the truck to do that. the distributor is currently taken off the truck. iam going to to do the compression test on cyclinder 1 . then place the distributor back on . if its is right , the pointer should be pointing to the no 1 wire. if its not. do i have to correct the gear that drives the distributor?

If the rotor button is not pointing in the correct location, then remove the hold down and lift the distributor up and rotate the rotor button so it is lined up and drop the distributor back in. Remember that as the distributor drops in the rotor button will turn some, as the gears mesh. So make sure to take into account for this and turn the rotor button back a tooth or two so when it drops all the way into place the rotor button is pointing to the correct location on the cap.

ok thanks, ***** ***** that

Let me know if you run into any problems.

i got it to sustain a good idle. it was sounding real good. it even "burped" it was cooling itself as normal. when i went to get more antii freeze, it just died. It now wont start. i filled the antifreeze up with about 1 gallon thinking that it might have hit a no start condition. nut no luck. it did however give a code. P0455. so I'm assuming i now have a fuel issue?

That code is for the evap system. There is a vacuum leak in the system. You either have the gas cap loose, or there is a vacuum line not connected to the right place. If it will not start then you need to check for spark from the coil to the distributor, as well as at the spark plugs, and check the fuel pressure so we know what needs to be checked to find out why it will not start.

Jerry, Master Mechanic