Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

My son has a 2007 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4. We recently had the

Customer Question
airbag recalls done and when...
My son has a 2007 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4. We recently had the airbag recalls done and when we picked it up, the A/C Compressor would not engage. I took it back and they wanted to charge me $175 to do a diagnostic on it. I said Umm-Humm and left. I'm not a bad mechanic do I've been working on it and have discovered the PCM isn't sending power to the TIPM for the A/C Compressor to engage. When a computer over rides the PCM and sends power to the A/C, it works fine.
My Question: What is the most likely thing these guys did during the recall that would have affected the PCM powering the A/C Compressor and how do I repair it?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dodge
8/6/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 3 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If they had bumped any wiring loose in the area they had worked in this can cause this.If they had caused a fault code to set in the PCM itself this can cause the PCM to disable the ac until the code is cleared out with a scan tool.These are usually the causes from a repair like this that had been done.

The fault codes need checked to see what codes are set and then any codes set need to be cleared out.If any codes come back at all then those codes need diagnosed to then locate and repair this issue here.

If you can check codes and post here if any codes are set this will help just let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

My buddy has a decent machine, if he was able to override the PCM and make the compressor engage, would it be safe to say the wiring is likely in the places they are supposed to be?I'll run by and pull the codes and report back. My understanding was there wasn't a code. The PCM is not sending the signal to the TIPM to deliver the A/C Compressor the power necessary for it to kick in and engage the clutch unless we override it with the computer.To reset the computer, I just disconnect the ground cable to the battery for a few minutes, correct?Thanks for your time so far today.

The over ride does indicate the PCM wiring is o.k. but wiring from the heater/ac control in the dash may be damaged causing a no ac signal.This can occur when the air bag recall was done.They may have damaged wiring or disconnected wiring from the heater/ac controls.

If the PCM is not seeing an ac on signal from the heater/ac control due to damaged or disconnected wiring then it will not command on the ac compressor.

To reset the computer itself disconnect the battery for 5 minutes as this sometimes works.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician