Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 98 ram 2500 with a 12 valve was not starting in cold

Customer Question
Hello, My 98 ram 2500...
Hello, My 98 ram 2500 with a 12 valve was not starting in cold temperatures. I found the heater grid relays were not functioning. Replaced them and they would function but for only 1 second and ide have to cycle the key again. So after trying to make them work with a 12v jumper wire the gauge cluster quit working. . so i plugged in my scan tool to the obd2 and no signal. Did the gauge cluster test and the gauges did full sweep. Ended up finding a used pcm from a 97 and switched. The heater grids now function for adequate time but still no gauges. Is the wiring different going to the cluster as 97 gauges were different style. Oh ya and now my obd2 shows all gauges working on the scanner. Rpm speed coolant temp etc..
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dodge
8/6/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 8 months ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Hello and welcome to just answer. The PCM on a 97 and 98 send gauge info over the CCD bus network to the cluster. They both use this network. Let me pull up the wiring diagrams for the 2 trucks and see if there is any difference. I will be back asap.

Chris

Ok, after looking at the diagrams between the 2 different years, I see that the CCD bus on the 97 is in terminals 27 and 29. On the 98 12 valve, they are in 28 and 30. The 98 had the SCI transmit and receive wires in 27 and 29. So you will need to get a 97 PCM for this to work properly.

Chris

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply. If not, I will send it again.

Chris

I hope that my answer and information was helpful, and if so would you kindly take a moment and rate my service using the just answer star rating system? I would really appreciate it. I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me. Thank you! Chris

Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman