Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have a 1999 Dodge Durango with 250,000 miles on it. At

Customer Question
intermittent time the check gauges...
I have a 1999 Dodge Durango with 250,000 miles on it. At intermittent time the check gauges light comes on and the temp pings on the high side I have replaced the wiring cluster
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: Just the check gauges light
JA: Are you fixing your Durango yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have a mechanic that is fixing it or trying to. The gauges have been replaced. Or whatever wiring harness there is has been replaced. The clockspring has also been replaced.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It's really annoying? LOL
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dodge
8/6/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 3 months ago
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you any way I can.

Can I start by getting your VIN and any stored codes in the computer?

Thank you!

Looking up vin
1B4HS28Y7XF612946

Thank you

So the entire instrument cluster was replaced correct?

Is the check engine light on?

Are there any codes in the computer?

indeed. It took 335 dollars to replace. The check gauges light is on intermittently and there are no codes.
No check engine light
I have replaced the car's computer twice already.

Thank you for that information. Have you run a self test on the instrument cluster when this happens?

If so, what were the results?

Have you checked the BUS circuit when this happens?

I have not done that. What results would I get? I don't have shop tools. I rely on the mechanic. If he has done these tests (and I assume he has) what results would he get.
The mechanic indicates that the cluster was new and was tested.

The BUS circuit should have 2.5 volts on anytime the key is on or the engine is running. If there is another module on board the vehicle that is going bad shorting out or affecting the BUS circuit, it can and will affect the gauges because the cluster and gauges are controlled by the BUS circuit signal going into the cluster. Your mechanic can check this at pins 3 and 11 at the data link connector under the dash.

In addition, the mechanic should be able to check the engine temp signal through the PCM using a scanner. This will tell him if there is a faulty sensor or wiring issue between the sensor and PCM.

the bus is the next thing that needs to be checked.
Would that show up on a code?
Where do I find the BUS?

It may or may not show a code. The BUS circuit and the engine temp reading both need to be checked using a scanner when this condition occurs. The BUS circuit is checked using a voltmeter or a lab scope. You can locate this circuit down at the data link connector on pins 3 and 11.

Alrighty, I will ask the mechanic to do these checks.
If they check out fine, where do we go from there?

The issue will likely be one of these two things. If not, the next step is determined by the findings on these two steps or checks I listed above. I would check the engine coolant temp sensor circuit back at the PCM using a voltmeter.

------------------------------------------------------

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or off line spending time with my family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Also, is it safe to drive this car or will the engine blow up?

It is safe to drive the vehicle.

Thank you for your help.
I really appreciate it.

Your welcome!!

Have a great day!!

Please don't forget to rate.

And please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello there!

I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

If so, please let me know as I will be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Customer/p>

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician