Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

2001 4.7 Dakota 4x4 upper radiator hose seems to be very low

Customer Question

2001 4.7 Dakota 4x4 upper radiator hose seems to be very low of coolant when i open it. the engine does not seem to get hot at all and the over flow has coolant in it. Dose this hose empty and fill when needed? I have filled it with the bleeder open and hot so know it is full and no air at that time. Not sure if this is a problem or normal?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mechanic01 replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required.

Are you talking about it collapsing when its hot?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no, the hose is ok, no issues with the hose, but once and awhile i open the cap on the upper hose and the hose is almost empty, very little water in it. is this a normal condition? the overflow tank is full and the temp never goes past midway. so not sure if i should be concerned about the hose not having water in it.

I have seen that with those models, I would recomend for that to do what I call a cold bleed on the system and I use a coolant funnel made for the coolant system and let it drain into the system overnight that way you get 100% filled coolant system ,but as a tech I have been seeing these trucks come in for years with that indication level with no worries but if it was my vehicle I would do the cold fill