Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2012 dodge caravan, engine light went on last night while…

Customer Question
2012 dodge caravan Mechanic's...

2012 dodge caravan

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?

Engine light went on last night while driving, strarted to lose power and a slight vibration starts. Haven't done anything

Mechanic's Assistant: Has your vehicle stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?

No it hasn't stalled....no mechanic available....in a small town in cape Breton on vacation and everything is closed

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Can was tuned before we left Ontario....oil, new tires

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
8/5/2017
Dodge Mechanic: xsvector, Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
xsvector
xsvector, Auto Mechanic

do you have access to a scan tool?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not until monday

The check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.
The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.

Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes

if you provide me a diagnostic code we can narrow down the cause of failure

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks. Unfortunately I'm in a small town and everything is closed in Monday. Thanks for the help.

as long as the engine light is on solid its safe to drive...a flsahing engine light is a misfire and can be harful to run

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's not flashing. It will stay on for awhile then go off and come back for another while. The front end shakes slightly when I start losing power. The tires are brand new michellins...about 2 weeks old

it may be transmission related we really need to get the codes read