Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Gas Gauge not working properly even after replacing both…

Customer Question
Gas Gauge not working...

Gas Gauge not working properly even after replacing both fuel pumps on a 2010 dodge charger

Mechanic's Assistant: Has your car been stalling?

Nope, just engine lite comes on and gauge not reading properly

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Charger yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced both fuel pumps with factory, and replace driver side pump again when dealer thought that first pump may have been defective

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dodge
8/4/2017
Dodge Mechanic: -Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech replied 9 months ago
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

Was any testing done before condemning the fuel pumps before replacing them? If no then let me explain how it all works..

The CCN which is the Cabin Compartment Node(Instrument Cluster)provides a constant current source to the fuel level sending unit and monitors a return input on a fuel level sense circuit. The resistance through the fuel level sending unit increases as the fuel level falls and decreases as the fuel level rises causing changes in the sense input voltage. The CCN programming applies an algorithm to calculate the proper fuel gauge needle position based upon the fuel level sense input, then moves the gauge needle to the proper relative position on the gauge scale. This algorithm is used to dampen gauge needle movement against the negative effect that fuel sloshing within the fuel tank can have on accurate inputs from the fuel tank sending unit to the CCN.

If the fuel gauge will not work correctly then the first thing that needs to be done is read the codes in the CCN with a scantool.. Now if you plan on repairing this then you will need to do this and provide me with the codes which will tell me what is going on so I can help you get it repaired...

Talk soon,

Brad

P0462 and P0463.
Engine lite also comes on. Sometimes it works other times not

Thanks for the codes!!

I attached the test you will need to follow to determine the cause of your issues..

If your not familiar with how JustAnswer works, You ask a question, I try and give you the best answer I can and then you leave a positive rating so I get credit for helping.. I strive for excellent ratings and greatly appreciate all bonuses.. Feel free to reply back as many times as needed until your issues is resolved...

Feel free to request me in the future for all your Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep needs..

Take care,

Brad

Wouldn't my Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealer have already done this? The answer you provided is not something that a normal person would know how to do. I am sure that this has happened before in the life of this car. What did those people end up doing to fix it.
-Brad-
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech