Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a Dodge charger that I just bought used off a car lot…

Customer Question
I have a Dodge...
I have a Dodge charger that I just bought used off a car lot which was on July 3rd .Ok I went to get an oil change at jiffy lube on the July 11 on the 20 of July my car threw a rod can you please explain to me what could have happened is it dealing with the oil change or is it something else
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/3/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Gary, Technician replied 11 months ago
Gary
Gary, Technician

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

is the engine oil showing on the dipstick ?

the only was the oil change could have caused this is by the shop not adding oil or not enough which would cause a rod bearing failure like this

if there was no working or oil light on and the oil is showing on the dipstick then the bearing just failed and was possibly the reason someone traded it in.if there is oil on the dipstick i would go back to the used car place and ask for help as you just bought the car

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask

Ok but I'm not understanding how there is a whole on the side of the motor

when a rod bearing fails the bearing will spin and overheat the rod end that connects to the crank shaft then break and physically when breaks will smash out the side of the block and make a hole in the block like what happened to your engine

did you understand that ?