Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I have a 3.8 dodge grand caravan. My engine light NO codes

Customer Question

I have a 3.8 dodge grand caravan. My engine light NO codes what so ever. the check engine light does not come on during normal running. However, it does flash when left on. I also have experienced a drop in fuel mileage, from 23 mpg down to 11 mpg
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: it blinks only while engine is OFF
JA: What year is your Grand Caravan?
Customer: 2006
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am taking it to a mechanic who say to drive it until the engine light comes on
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I no have except that I am about to take a 600 mile trip
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

If the check engine light is coming on then you are setting codes, and in order for me to help I will need to know what codes are setting.. If it's flashing then you have a misfiring engine and if we know what cylinder it is then we can swap the wires and injectors to another cylinder to see if the misfire moves to determine the cause..

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the engine light does NOT come on and there are No Codes. it flashes only while the engine is off and the key has been on for about 10 seconds.