Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Make VOLK Model Jetta GL 4 cyn, The rear disc brake pads

Customer Question
Make VOLK Model Jetta...
Make VOLK Model Jetta GL 4 cyn
JA: The Expert will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Expert can help you best.
Customer: The rear disc brake pads were changed recently, but the rear brakes are not engaging, in addition the truck will not open. We checked the fuses and that is not it. Could it be that the brake fluid needs to be flushed (that really doesn't explain the truck problem) Are they separate issues or could they be connected?
JA: Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?
Customer: Not that I am aware of at this time.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dodge
Need a VW mechanic not a Dodge Mechanic. It is TRUNK in the above message not Truck.
8/2/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 3 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

I'd certainly agree that bleeding the brakes is the 1st step

I'd double check all the unions for tightness on all the joints.
Also I'd use a pressure bleeder such as Easibleed to push fluid through to each corner first then use the two person method below to bleed the brakes.

I favour having a clear hose from the nipple to a jar 1/2 full of old fluid and with the nipple closed your assistant pushes the pedal up and down a few times then holds it down then you crack open the nipple and close it again whilst fluid is still flowing.

Repeat this a few times on all calipers and start with the caliper furthest away from the master cylinder.

If you still have an issue then it could be a flexible brake line is ballooning under pressure, this can't always be seen from the outside so to test this use a hose clamp on each line in turn to close off then lines one at time . Push the pedal in between and see if you can feel any difference as each line is closed off.

if this doesn't help then its possible that you need to run the ABS pump to move any trapped air inside
the dealer method is to use the diagnostic tool to cycle the ABS during bleeding

however I've had good results buy just taking the car for short drive and stamping on the pedal at low speed to lock the brakes and trigger the ABS
and then re-bleed

I'm very sure that the 2 problems aren't related

then to try sort the trunk issue its likely that that the latch may be broken

First try to open the trunk with your fob or the key whilst pushing down on the trunk lid- it will not pop it open but should unlatch it so you can raise it up.

if this doesn't work then its a case of climbing inside the trunk and take off the carpet cover on the inside of the trunk lid. About 9 Phillips screw heads usually covered by carpet pads. Easy to do with it open- upside down in the dark is a little more challenging. With the carpet cover off, you should be able to tug on the pushrods that activate the truck opening latch.

The part to take off is shiny and has three screws on it directly behind the rear license plate but on the inside. Unsnap the pushrods and unplug the ram type device.

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Engineer