Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

When my engine is not running but coolant is hot is shows…

Customer Question
When my engine is...

When my engine is not running but coolant is hot is shows that it needs some added. to get an accurate reading should it be hot or cold

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you noticed any leaking?

No.. the water pump was changed and im not sure they added enough coolant back in

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2007 dodge dakota

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Dakota yourself? What have you tried so far?

I was only going to add some coolant

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

When i turn it off there is a noise that sounds like pressure is being released

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dodge
8/2/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 11 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The noise you hear is most likely air being released from the coolant system.I have heard this before and usually indicates that the coolant is not at the proper level or bled of air properly.If a shop did this repair I would tell them about the noise and light and they should correct this at no charge to you.

The coolant level needs checked cold.You would want to run the engine and rev it up several times to around 1500 rpms and down to idle over and over.Also allow it to warm up completely when this is done.

Once this is done shut down the engine and let it sit several hours.Then remove the cap and check and top off the coolant level.Continue to do this until all air bubbles are removed and the coolant level remains at the correct level.

If the fluid continues to go down then there is a good chance there is still a leak that needs to be located and repaired to resolve this fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete