Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

My 2012 dodge ram 50 k miles When i first start it i hear a

Customer Question
hey JA: Hello. How can I...
hey
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: my 2012 dodge ram 50 k miles When i first start it i hear a clicking... lifter? But then as soon as i rev my engine it goes away?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: auto
JA: Are you fixing your Ram 50 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: You
When i first start it i hear a clicking... lifter? But then as soon as i rev my engine it goes away?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Thats basically the question
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/2/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 3 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

if you've got a top-end rattle or regular ticking that increases in tempo with increasing rpm then yes I'd agree it could be a sticking valve lifter, as these use a small hydraulic piston to take up the valve clearances and what can happen is the small oil ways that feed the piston chamber can get clogged up

So the 1st course of action is to try an oil flush treatment complete with a new filter and fresh oil

also try removing the auxiliary drive belt and turning every pulley and ancillary ( power steering pump , alternator etc) by hand. All should turn easily (with the exception of the AC pump) with no grittyness or wobbly pulleys- If you do find a sticky pump / alternator then it should be replaced or repaired
If the engine is stone cold you can briefly run it with no belts to see if the noise changes or has gone away, this will help show if an ancillary is the issue

The only time it ticks is like the first 30 seconds or so when the engine first starts at all, then it gets just a little warm and the tick stops and you NEVER hear it again,
Of course until you start the engine cold again
What do you think?

Ok

this is either a sticking idler pulley that goes away as the engine warms or whats more likely is a sticking lifter

if you can listen to the engine from cold and try to determine the location of the noise by using a screwdriver onto the engine with the other end placed in your ear like a stethoscope

If it is a sticky lifter, would engine flush solve it? Likely? Or not?Or what is you're recommendation if it is a lifter?And if it is a sticky lifter will driving damage it? If it is only "sticky"?
Hello?

hello

a sticking lifter is often solved by a a flush treatment but not always

and no driving the car with a sticking lifter won't damage it, you may get a little worse gas milage but its more of an annoyance than anything

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Engineer