Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2008 Grand caravan has starting issues. I have to move the…

2008 Grand caravan has...

2008 Grand caravan has starting issues. I have to move the gear from park to neutral and back a few times before t turns over and starts

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Battery is new..starter new...alternator new

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?

I took it to a mechanic all items mentioned above its what they recommended

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Someone suggested it might be a neutral switch.

8/2/2017
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. It sure does sound like the transmission range sensor. AKA neutral safety switch

3.3 or 3.8 engine?

3.3

thanks, ***** ***** me a few minutes

this is a huge job. my recommendation is to have the transmission control module scanned for fault codes before having the sensor replaced. transmission faults dont turn on the check engine light and can only be scanned with a scan tool that has the capability of interrogating the tcm.

Okay thats whats the mechanic did before and nothng showed up..this started after installing a new altenanator..and starter

ok, why was the alternator and starter replaced?

He said that was the problem...initially it died would start...he changed the battery..and put a new starterLast week i drove it for 4 hours then the battery light came on....i was far from my usual mechanic....the other mechanic..advised that the alternator was the issue...then replaced it as well as the battery ...the old one had 10 volts.
Then when he tried to start it wouldnt turn over ..he wiggled the gear stick rom park to neutral and back a few times..then it turns over
I doo the same when driving it

ok. let me think about this for a few

Thank i will try that in the morning

ok, please let me know if you find anything. thanks

hows it going?

The mechanic who put in the new starter did not attach the bolts properly. It was loose..thats what was causing it not to start.
Now it turns over like a charm

very good to hear!!! nice to have something simple and cost free fix it

It cost me an additional $85.
But i am glad its finally fixed.
Thanks again

you should make the mechanic who put the starter in pay for it., anyways Im also glad its taken care of.

He is not accepting that it was his error. Considering that he put in the starter...recommended a new junction box...put in a new battery that was dead

even though the wire was loose? wow. nice guy.

please accept the answer and leave a 5 star rating for me if you are satisfied with my assistance. thank you,

david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic