Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

09 ram 1500 having hard time to fill it up with gas,

Customer Question
09 ram 1500 having...

09 ram 1500 having hard time to fill it up with gas

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Starting to act up when I start it

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Bad air lock

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No just hard to fill my truck up

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dodge
How can I fix it ? Where is my air vent located
8/2/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 11 months ago
Gunvir Singh

HEllo, let me review your request. Please stand by.

Dodge Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 11 months ago

Is it hard to start after fill up too?

Starting to do that maybe cause the gas tank is full of air
Air vent is plugged to I try blow threw that air hose but can't
Dodge Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 11 months ago

The symptom you are experiencing points towards a stuck open evap purge valve or a plugged evap canister.

Yuh that valve is in the up position stuck
Is there any way of fixing it or gotta get a new one ?
Dodge Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 11 months ago

Which valve?

Idk which one it is but my air hose hooks to it
I'll send a pic soon
Dodge Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 11 months ago

What size engine do you have?

5.7
09 Ram 1500
Ok that's where that is at
Dodge Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 11 months ago

Yes, need to remove both the hoses connected and check if stuck open.

I shall check that out might be plugged up cause I live on the dempster highway gravel road
if it's stuck open it's no good ?
Dodge Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 11 months ago

IF stuck open, fuel vapors will get in the intake and give hard to start condition.

Ok but yuh I got a air lock hard time fuelling my truck up
Dodge Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 11 months ago

There is a procedure to check the blockage in the system.

Dodge Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 11 months ago

1. Remove the hose from the tank to the charcoal canister and remove the recirculation tube from the filler neck to the top of the tank. Try to fill the system, if the tank will still not accept fuel, replace the whole tank assembly.

2. If the tank does accept fuel, then reinstall the recirculation tube and recheck. If it does not take fuel, then the recirculation tube is plugged or restricted.

3. If the recirculation tube makes no difference, then the evaporative system needs to be checked for a restriction. Start by removing the vent coming off of the Evaporative System Monitor (ESM) Switch assembly. Check each line or look for a plugged canister.

Ok I'll give these a try
Dodge Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 11 months ago

Do you have anuy other questions?

Soon when I'm doing it
Dodge Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 11 months ago

Ok, keep me posted.

K
Dodge Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 11 months ago

Thanks.

I just hooked it back up
Can't blow threw it anyways
Dodge Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 11 months ago

If there is no air passing through, need to supply 12 volts at the connector to make sure its not stuck closed.