Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

My 06 dodge Durango is starting. Before, it would start

Customer Question

My 06 dodge Durango is starting. Before, it would start after a few tries then it started after a jump. Now, it is not starting up. I hear 1 click and a small sound coming from under a hood. Battery is new and so is the starter. I have very little knowledge in cars so I could use all the advice I can get.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: I'm not sure where exactly it is coming from and this has been going on recently. It was working fine 3 weeks ago.
JA: Are you fixing your Durango yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: My husband is fixing it. The 1st time he was sure it was the starter bc all the lights were off and ect but the battery was fairly new. So he bought a new starter and it still didnt work. So we took the battery and had it check and so we needed a new battery too. It has been working good up until now.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that it all..thanks.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you any way I can.

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

I can provide you with some possible causes or walk you through this diagnoses.

If I walk you through this diagnoses, you will likely have better results, however, this will require you or someone to do some testing on the vehicle.

If you would like, we can speak over the phone right now.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My husband is at work right now and I dont have anyone to help me make any tests right now. I am just trying to find a place that we can start looking for the problem.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

If the engine is not cranking over at all and the starter is not activating, you need to check power down at the starter, check to ensure that the engine is not locked and check for a good engine/starter ground.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yesterday, my car started when my husband jumped it. He let it run form 30 min. Later, I turned the key and it turned on. I went to the grocery store and when I turned the key it didnt start. It also didn't start after a jump. If my engine could be locked how do I go about checking? And I dont understand what a starter ground is?
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Thats why it would be best to speak over the phone.

The starter grounds through the engine block.

Because it is bolted to the engine block, it uses the engine block as a ground.

So the engine ground must be checked.

You could follow the ground cable from the negative battery cable to the engine block and check the connection there.

Sometimes the power distribution center or what ever supplies the starter with power could be faulty.

If you post your VIN or engine size, I can look this up for you and provide you with more detail.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Engine is 4.7 V8
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What about any type of fuse or relay? Could that be something we should check too?
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for the engine size.

YES, check all fuses and the starter relay located under the hood in the PDC center.

If they all check out good, then the starting circuit will need to be checked using a voltmeter

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok.. So if the fuses and relays are good. It may most likely be wiring?
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

YES< it could be wiring if the fuses and starter relay are good.

It is also possible that there is an issue with the PCM. The PCM is the main engine computer and it controls the starter relay.

However, dont jump to conclusions and assume the PCM is faulty. The starting circuit needs to be checked.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
After the starting circuits are checked. Is there anything else that may need to be checked?
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

YES, there is.

Where we go next depends on the results of the starting circuit test.

Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am writing everything down. I do have a few more Questions about the starter ground. Can you describe to me what is and its function?
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

For any automotive electrical motor to work, it needs power and ground. This completes the circuit. So if the starter has power, it will also need a ground to work. In this case, it is the case of the starter motor that gets grounded when it gets bolted into place.

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Hello there!

I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

If so, please let me know as I will be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Customer/p>