Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Im adjusting the torsion key on the driver side on my

Customer Question
Im adjusting the torsion...

Im adjusting the torsion key on the driver side on my 2007chrysler aspen 4.7l 4wd

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the key stripped or worn?

No it was removed when replacing the lower control arm and was not put back properly, so now one key is lower than the other and its killing my ball joints,tires and has my alignment off(steering wheel is not stright when driving)

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Aspen?

07

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Aspen yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, im adjusting the torion key,replacing the lower ball joint on the driver side and replacing the upper control arm on the passenger side and taking it to get aligned.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dodge
8/1/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 11 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Here is the info on installation and alignment.This is all that is offered on this here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uehm6pi0vn4wdr6/t-08-01.gif?dl=0

CAUTION: The left and right side torsion bars are NOT interchangeable. The bars are identified and stamped R or L, for right or left. The bars do not have a front or rear end and can be installed with either end facing forward.

1. Insert torsion bar ends into anchor and suspension arm.
2. Position the anchor (2) in the crossmember frame (3).
3. Install loader/unloader tool 8686 (1) to the anchor (2) and the crossmember (3).
4. Increase the tension on the anchor in order to load the torsion bar.
5. Install the adjustment bolt and the adjuster nut.
6. Turn adjustment bolt clockwise the recorded amount of turns.
7. Remove the loader/unloader tool 8686 (1) from the torsion bar crossmember (3).
8. Install the transfer case skid plate.
9. Lower vehicle and adjust the front suspension height.
10. Perform a wheel alignment.

HEIGHT MEASUREMENT

The vehicle suspension height MUST be measured and adjusted before performing wheel alignment procedure. Also when front suspension components have been replaced. This measure must be performed with the vehicle supporting it's own weight and taken on both sides of the vehicle.

NOTE: Vehicle should have a full tank of fuel prior to measuring and adjusting alignment.

FRONT RIDE HEIGHT MEASUREMENT

1. Inspect tires and set to correct pressure.
2. Jounce the front of the vehicle.
3. With vehicle on level ground or hoist, make the following measurements:
a. Front wheel spindle (center) to ground vertical distance.
b. Center of the front face of bolt on the rear leg of Lower control arm to ground vertical distance.
c. Difference between spindle and control arm bolt to ground distances should be 81mm+/-3.2mm Note that the control arm bolt is lower than the spindle.
4. If adjustment is required, turn the torsion bar adjuster bolts- if lowering ride height, unscrew Torsion bar adjuster bolt beyond desired point so as to set height when screwing-in adjuster bolt.
5. After making any ride height adjustment, roll vehicle preferably jouncing it also, to relieve camber Effects and then re-measure Lower control arm bolt to ground height.
6. Repeat the previous steps until the ride height is within specifications.

REAR RIDE HEIGHT MEASUREMENT

2. Jounce the front of the vehicle.
a. Distance from the landing pad of the jounce bumper on the axle side to the jounce bumper cup lip of the frame side.
b. The difference between the jounce bumper landing pad and the jounce bumper cup lip. The reading should be 148 mm +/-10 mm for 9.25" axle, 154 mm +/-10 mm for 8.25" axle.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete