sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2008 with all the delete kits all of the sudden lost power.

Customer Question

2008 with all the delete kits all of the sudden lost power. I can still drive highway speeds, however it takes 4 times longer to get there. No black smoke or smoke at all for that matter. I can't hear the turbo spool up. Like it's not getting fuel but runs fine other than that. It was fine in the morning, go to leave work and it is acting up...
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: Consistent.
JA: What year is your Turbo?
Customer: 2008 as well. Original.
JA: Are you fixing your Turbo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything. A turbo shouldn't just all of the sudden go bad. That should be something you see coming...
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's all I can think of.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi Im David, what delete kits are you talking about?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have a MADS Smarty JR. tuner. The DPF, EGR and all that business have been removed. After everything I have researched, it sounds like my turbo needs a cleaning.I'd re-run the tuner program, but I think some kids must have stolen it.

the turbo cleaning may help, but the tuning and deletes sometimes do more harm than good. If you modify a vehicle, in my opinion, you need to expect problems because sooner or later they will appear. A vehicle is built in the factory to run optimally. Any deviation to enhance its performance is never recommended, but its your ride and engine performance upgraded also comes with risk.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I understand the issues that can arise from the tuners, but I also understand the benefits of getting rid of the EGR and DPF. I get great fuel mileage. LOLThe engine idles great, it will still do 80mph down the road, it just has a hard time getting there. Didn't know if you folks might have had any experience with it. Thanks.

cleaning the turbo, and doing a back pressure test will tell alot

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just was talking with a gentlemen on the Cummins forum, he is telling me with the DPF & EGR deletes, the turbo shouldn't get sooted up. He told me to check on the turbo speed sensor. Didn't even know there was such a thing.

sure there is, but you would have a code.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I thought the same thing, but he was saying they can be intermittent and I have noticed that with the programmer, codes can come slower than when stock. Sometimes not at all. I just had an issue with the transmission input speed sensor a couple weeks ago and never got a code on it.

Ok well I will open this up to the others who may be more familiar dealing with issues brought on with the modifications. good luck

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you sir. Have a good day.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds as if the engine is going into limp in, which can happen for a number of reasons. The problem may be related to the programmer and modifications, it could definitely be the turbo, a boost leak, a sensor issue, injectors, etc.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to see what fault codes are setting. Have you checked for codes?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If it is limp mode, it is the most powerful limp mode I have experienced. I can still go down the road at 85 - 90mph. Just takes longer to get there. Yesterday, I had a buddy hit the throttle while I had the hood open and listened for any sounds of life from the turbocharger. There wasn't even the faintest of whistles. I basically have it narrowed down to the turbo, but what I am not exactly sure of. It is not producing any codes. And it literally worked in the morning fine on the way into work, then didn't on the way home. Makes me think electrical and not actually something wrong with the turbo. The boys on the Cummins forum came up with the turbo speed sensor, but couldn't tell me how to test the sensor to see if it is good our bad. I don't like just replacing parts to figure out a problem.

Limp in doesn't limit speed, it limits power.

If no fault codes are setting then you're going to need a scan tool to monitor data while driving to determine what is going on.