Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

2013 dart, steering locked, no com between eps and pcm,,

Customer Question

2013 dart , steering locked, no com between eps and pcm,, code U0131, with -55 and-87 fuses good dodge denies any steering issues with this line of cars
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has this ever happened before?
Customer: 61k, first time ,,, owner over 70yrs old,, in full panic mode , on my phone every ten minutes about getting job done
JA: Are you fixing your Dart yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I think I covered that -- alldata no help , direct hit no help
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: let him know I don't like wasting my time, or money ,, esp after 16 hr workday with no end in sight
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
general info - message on dash "service power steering" abs light on, red steering wheel with exclamation mark on right side of cluster, traction control light on . steering wheel is nearly rigid, only turns with enormous effort . , reboot of electrical system ,filed to help , very little information on diagnosis is available online, other than subjecting customer to dealership, I have no clue where to go at this point
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'ll be assisting you with your question today. Please give me a few moments to review your question. Also keep in mind that I do not know your skill level or abilities so I may be asking a lot of questions before I can answer. In some cases we may need to respond to each other quite a bit before I can come up with a possible solution for you. As far as phone calls, If you didn't request it, it is most likely the Website prompting you, not me. A Live Call is a "Premium Service" and will cost more money. I prefer communicating via this site, but in some cases a phone call may be recommended.

I am researching this concern for you and will get back with you as soon as possible, Thanks for your patience while I gather the information needed for your answer. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 2 months ago.

I have been researching your concern and now have a bit of information for you...Let me know if you are missing any info or need an explanation of anything posted here...

Ok, Have you inspected the EPS wiring? I have seen issues where rodents have damaged the wiring for the Electronic Power Steering. The harness in question is the EPS Jumper harness. This harness runs from the Electronic Rack and Pinion unit to the body of the vehicle just above the suspension crossmember. Here is a drawing showing the location of this harness. Inspect this harness carefully for damage or issues. --->> Click Here to view <<---

I'm also posting a wiring diagram so you can be sure to check the correct fuses. One fuse that needs to be checked is a 70 amp fuse. This fuse is connected directly at the battery check to be sure this fuse is good.

Wiring Diagram --->> Click Here to view <<---

Here is some diagnostic info for the U0131 codes. IF you don't find anything with the visual inspection run the U0131-87 diagnostic procedure, this should help you get to the root cause...

--->> Click Here to view <<--- U0131-87

--->> Click Here to view <<--- U0131 (in pcm)

Let me know if you will be needing step by step help with this. If you do, I'll be happy to help...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask, I am happy to help as long as necessary to help solve your concern. Remember, a "Positive" Rating will not close this question, You can post a reply here whenever you want, even after rating my answer! .