Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

I own a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan mileage about 145000.

Customer Question

I own a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan mileage about 145000. Lately the dash flickers, overhead lights go on and cannot be turned off, car stalls or is intermittent in starting, fuses seem ok. Odometer and other needles go all the way over and back before settling.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: yes
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: discharging the positive battery connection to ground used to help but this flickering is more recent
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Right window does not work
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you any way I can.

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Is the check engine light on?

Are there any codes in the computer?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am hard of hearing so written stuff is better but if necessary I could do the phone
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

ok sounds good

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No just refund my $5 What is free about this?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not happy with this
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Check engine light comes on after cranking up code lights flash
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Different expert here,

There is a wiring harness on the back of the engine that will fall down and touch the exhaust manifold causing the wiring to melt together. I recently ran into this on my own van and I had similar issues with hard starting and the engine stalling.

Turn the key on and off without starting the engine three times within 5 seconds. This is commonly referred to as the "key dance" Once you have the codes you will be able to narrow down the problem. You can also take the vehicle to any auto parts store and they will usually scan for free.

Usually you will have a map sensor code. The map sensor is a common problem as well.

I was able to repair my wiring harness on my van by soldering the melted wires and using heat shrink tubing. I ended up replacing the map sensor as well.