Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

2010 dodge challenger srt8 not charging, i will be fixing…

2010 dodge challenger srt8...

2010 dodge challenger srt8 not charging

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Challenger SRT8 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I will be fixing myself. battery light came on. i used a multimeter and was only seeing 11.8 volts while it was running

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery? Have you tried testing the alternator?

No and no battery is 1 year old

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think thats it

Answered in 1 minute by:
7/31/2017
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** you have a test light or volt meter?

Both of them

are you at the vehicle now?

No not until tonight
I am very handy and work on cars alot. Just walk me through the years/ checks to confirm what it is

ok, this is going to be either a bad alternator, or a bad PCM, the main computer, its usually a bad alt, to test it , disconnect the 2 wire connector at the alternator, and turn the key on, the red wire at the connector should have battery voltage, then start the car, and check the brown/grey wire at the connector, if it has voltage when running, then you have a bad alternator, if the brown/grey wire does not have voltage, then the PCM is bad, the PCM has the voltage regulator built into it, but the most common problem is the alternator,Tim

Ok thanks I will try that

Anytime my friend, please dont forget to rate me, so I can get credit for helping,Thanks,Tim

Ok will do

there are 5 stars at the top of the page, you need to click on 3 or higher for me to be paid, once you have rated me, you can come back to this question at anytime nd ask follow ups at no charge,Tim

Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
I will msg you after having tested what you advised me on. 5 starts given

thank you, ***** ***** be bon all day today, and am on most everyday, let me know Tim

Thanks will msg you tonight

Anytime my friend,Tim

it ran while not charging for about 25 minutes. You still think the PCM could be the cause? Or just bad alternator?

most of the time, its a bad alternator, but we have also replaced the PCM for this concern, usually it s the alternator 80% of the time,Tim

Ok thanks I'll check tonight and let you know

you bet

I haven't tested it yet but will the car still run ok if it's the PCM?

Yes, if the voltage regulator is bad, then the rest of the computer will work fine but the driver for the voltage regulator will be ba, and hr alt will not charge, but the res of the computer will work fine,Ttim

Ok so something wired is going on here. I hook up a new battery. Starts at 12.6V and as soon as it's connected it goes down to 11.0V and steadily drains 2 different batteries I have tried. Big spark when connecting battery like it has a huge draw on it. Dead short?
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH