Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2000 ram 1500/5.9 voltage gauge drops to zero but comes back…

Customer Question
2000 ram 1500/5.9 voltage gauge...
2000 ram 1500/5.9 voltage gauge drops to zero but comes back on the next time I start it and stays up for a while before doing it again. started 3 days ago. Battery is still 12.9 volts.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
7/30/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 1 year ago
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you any way I can.

Your saying that the voltage gauge drops to zero when the engine is running but the battery voltage remains ok? I assume 14 volts or so?

If you clear the codes, which codes come back first?

Has anything been replaced for this condition as of yet?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just drove it and the gauge said it wasn't charging. Got back home and shut it off. Hooked up OBD and started it back up to clear codes and get a new reading and it was charging! Voltage at battery while running was 14.2 This is what it has been doing. Off and on, off and on. Any ideas?

If your saying that the charging system remains normal at the battery when this condition occurs, this is likely a faulty instrument cluster.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nothing has been replaced because I don't know what to replace yet. Same codes come back in the same order. Battery was 12.9 this morning before starting it.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All other gauges are working like they should.

Sounds like the battery and alternator are working correctly.

I don't believe the codes stored in the computer are related.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Instument cluster or voltage gauge? Are they together?

Yes sir that is correct. They are together as one unit.

Do you have any further questions Jerry?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if this was your vehicle you would replace the entire instrument cluster?

Yes sir that's correct.

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I doubt that diagnosis very stronglyCustomer I will talk with a local mechanic tomorrow and if he agrees with you I will pay the additional $23.

Would you like some further possible causes?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just the correct one.

You would need to do some testing first before we can figure out the "correct one".

Hello there!

I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

If so, please let me know as I will be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Customer/p>