Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

05 dodge neon, automatic, non-turbo. Trying to help my

Customer Question
05 dodge neon, automatic...

05 dodge neon, automatic, non-turbo. Trying to help my friend get their car started. Accessories all come on when we crank, there's a single click and some whirring in the engine compartment but the engine doesn't turn over. We replaced fuses, relays, spark plugs, wires, and battery. Doesn't seem to be an electrical issue. If it helps, car was sitting for approx 8 months prior. We also added new fuel to the tank.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

Over 100k,and no.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Neon yourself? What have you tried so far?

Are you a bot

Mechanic's Assistant: Yes, I'm a bot. I make the process of talking to the mechanic more efficient and affordable by asking basic questions. Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Well that's snazzy. Naw, lemme talk to the human :) thank you, ***** *****!

Mechanic's Assistant: Unless you give a sliver of your skin for DNA analysis, how would I know you were human?

Mechanic, please!

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
7/30/2017
Dodge Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 1 year ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

Will the engine turn over but just not start, or will it not turn over at all?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Doesn't turn over at all.

Do you have a digital volt meter and a test light so we can do some testing?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Unfortunately no, I don't. It doesn't seem to be a problem with the electrical.system however. All wires are connected, and in good condition, and we've verified the battery is good. As mentioned, everything works except the engine turning over.
This may be relevant: someone recently broke into the car and tried to steal it. When they weren't able to they stole some of the fuses and relays which I replaced. The red dot (which I believe refers to the antitheft lockout) is solid red upon cranking but that may be due to just the display lighting everything up on acc power on.

If the engine does not turn over, then there has to be an electrical problem. Can you borrow a test light and a digital volt meter so we can see what is going on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sadly I'm the only gearhead I know in the state. Do you have some instructions on what to test and what readings should be when I can get my hands on one?

If you will get one, I will walk you through the testing step by step. It is hard to give you all the tests to do, with out having the results from the first test, so it is better if we go over it step by step.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ah, alright. I won't be able to get one today unfortunately.
Will this case/ticket/thread/whaever be left open or will I have to re-pay to get back in touch with you or someone else?

NO it will stay open till you return, and it will not cost you anything when you return.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Awesome. Thank you for your assistance! I'll get back in touch when I have the appropriate tools :) have a good weekend!

Thank you and you too.