Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

It slowly overheating with AC on. With ac off it doesn't…

Customer Question
It slowly overheating with AC...
It slowly overheating with AC on. With ac off it doesn't over heat.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dodge
7/30/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 6 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

Does this occur more so when idling in park, stuck in traffic, or highway driving?

Idling in park, Driving stays almost always 199 degrees. Idling with the AC ON temperature slowly rises. Over the course of 20 mins or so I will be at 230 degrees. That would be about 3/4 mark on my temp gauge.

Are there any air shrouds around all the coolers up front that are missing?

Are the condenser fins clogged or bent restricting air flow?

So I gather this only occurs when idling form your response?

All shrouds are there. The condenser is good and clean. The Durango has that split radiator and condenser. So the condenser is not in front of the radiator. It's off to the driver side. But yes it will only start to creep up on the gauge when just sitting for prolonged times.

What is the ambient air temp during this test?

When driving with the AC on, how high does the coolant temp get?

The temp outside is usually around 108 degrees. When driving with the AC on it's at 199 degrees almost always.

Based on the fact it is just sitting at idle not being driven with air flow and the outside temp is over 100. It is going to be hard for this cooling system to not run hot. Most vehicles with a mechanical fan would too start to run hot in this scenario. If this is a scenario you are going to be in frequently, you may want to invest in a electric auxiliary cooling fan to help move more air. The only thing left to blame would be air getting into the cooling system from head gasket failure though I do not feel in any way that is to blame here.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician