Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

2004 dodge ram installing led turn signal lamps on the rear.

Customer Question

2004 dodge ram installing led turn signal lamps on the rear. The turn signal wire has about 9 volts on it and does not toggle between 12 v and 0 volts. How can I get these led light to flash? How does this get wired? How can I get the steady 9 volts off of the turn signal wires?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  TECHPRO49 replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required.

Is that a plug and play lamp?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Napa led turn signal. should be plug and play. more in a sec

if its a bulb the power goes through it one way so if its not lighting up I would flip it around, have you verified that the bulb is good ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I believe that if we can get the turn signal wires to drop that 9 Vs we will be ok . Why does it have 9 volts on those wires

im wondering the same thing it should be 12v

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the bulb is new and wired to the proper polarity. It will only flash the 5 center leds when turned on
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It should give me 0 Volts at idle and toggle between 12 and 0 Volts when activated

is that a aftermarket bed you have on there ? and yes it should be doing that

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is a utility bed that I just put on the truck "aftermarket" and well grounded
a;; the other lighting works well
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is like I am getting a pulse signal that is not strong enough to fire all the led s Yet 9 volts at idle and missing the 12 Volt flash signal

what are you getting at the truck harness and bed connector?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will have to pull it back in Monday to check that and get back to you for the answer. picnic day today and church tomorrow. The only reason I am adding these t signal lights because of a conflict with the brake light and T signal making the cyclopes light blinking. I would assume that the harness and bed wires all carry this 9 Vs

let me know what you come up with, sounds like a bad wire or ground somewhere

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The 9 Vs is there without anything connected to the T signal wires and runs a low light on all the time to this light when wired up. Do you think I could have caused a problem wiring them like the factory was?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
will check the harness and get back to you Monday. Gotta go now :)

sounds good ill be around!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the 9 V on both turn signal wires is also it the wiring harness (both sides)
The turn signal lamps are both lit but very dim when it should be off.
When actuating the t-signal they both blink very dimly and the interior indicator rapidly flashes

Ok unplug all the led bulbs and pull the front control module its under the integrated power module, I have sent diagrams of everything, turn the signal on and backprobe connector to measure voltage at pin 19 and 44 and see what you get