Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I had a bad tank of fuel and truck is now getting the filter

Customer Question

I had a bad tank of fuel and truck is now getting the filter replaced and boost pump is on order at the dealer which will be in on Monday. Plan is to drop the fuel tank and clean out the tank and replace the pump at that time. My question is do you think the injectors will survive ?
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Yes, it starts as usual but has a hard time pulling the trailer,at times only getting to 30 mph and then seems to act normal. This is a 2003 dodge cummins HO
JA: What is the model of your '03 Dodge?
Customer: 2500 Ram with 100,000 miles
JA: Are you fixing your 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It's a 2500 ram and the dealer has the trk . I'm not fixing it. I'm concerned about the injectors, can they be cleaned it required?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I'm $1300 into it now and don't need another$1000 if another option is available
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Your injectors should be o.k.Most likely the power loss issue was due to the bad fuel and restricted fuel filter or the boost pump at fault but the injectors usually survive.The way you can usually tell is if before you started this repair if it ran really rough like a misfire then this would indicate a fault with one or more of the injectors.

But I have seen the diesel injectors survive incorrect and bad fuel with no issues.You are on the right track here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete